Thursday 7 November 2013

The Leather Look


Style Theory: Dare to defy your age = Leather/pleather jeans or leggings, they can be a statement item in your wardrobe but dressed down can make everyday wear look cool...

I have been debating the leather/pleather jeans look for what seems like my whole life. In the nineties I bought a pair, I wore them once..they were cheap pleather and super hot. However, leather look has moved on a lot since then, it now it looks identical to the real thing and no longer acts like cling film on your skin. In an ideal world you would buy real leather but as this trend has been bubbling on for a couple of years now and if, like me, you are jumping on the bandwagon slightly late, then I would buy cheaper than blow the budget. Here are some street stylers showing leather trousers at their best:
Adore this look with the grey coat and trainers.
Leather trousers look perfect cropped at the ankle with trainers and a grey sweater
Adore the biker style trousers with converse and denim jacket round the waist
Leather panel leggings with leopard print slipper  style shoes and neutral top looks super stylish
Love them with wedge trainers boho top and a camo jacket
White tee and zips at the ankle - perfection in simplicity
Adore this cool look - there is a jacket like this in Monsoon..gorgeous,

I have been trying these on for a while now and have developed my own set of rules for these:
  • They are definitely more flattering tighter especially round the thigh area.
  • Past a certain age.... erm mid 30s...I would keep tops long...mid thigh for most flattering.
  • I think they should be ankle length, this is more flattering and then looks fab teamed with ballet pumps/boots/ heels or trainers.
Styling rules....style leather leggings/trousers with:
Denim shirts and a chunky jumper over the top
Short dresses and wear with ballet pumps, voluminous dresses also look fab with them
Shirt dresses look chic with them but make sure they are not too long.
A grey hoody and pair of bright trainers for a 'street' look.

Now for my pick of the best on the high street:
Hallhuber Leather Effect legging £69.99 (from House of Fraser)
I have these coming to me in the post, they look fab online will report back to you on how they fit.

Topshop Leather Look Skinny Treggings £38

These have been very highly rated in the reviews and look great online.
Zara leather look front motorbike leggings £25.99
Zara trousers are great for those blessed with height,  unfortunately being super short they tend to be 1 metre too long!
Topshop Leather look front leggings £28
These look great on and are good as they are stretchy jersey at the back so not so hot on your legs and can be easily dressed down or up. Remember if buying leather look leggings keep tops, jumpers and cardigans super long as they are far more flattering.


Topshop leather effect leggings £22

I have these ones and love them, they were the best I tried on. They are tight and flattering and at £22 not a bad price. This photo does not do them justice and I would not recommend with a short top....
H&M leather look trousers £24.99

Alternatively you could go for the coated jean option which has a leather-ish effect but not so dramatic and can easily be worked into your daytime wardrobe. Also, these can be worn with shorter jumpers as they tend to have a jean-like top and pockets.
Zara coated jeans with zips £39.99
These are gorgeous and look great on.

Topshop coated skinny jeans £42
Again fab for those Topshop jean fans, a great black jean with a twist.

Zara 5 pocket coated trousers £39.99

M&S Collection Leather Look Ankle Jeggings £25

I tried these on, they are great if you have a curvier figure, are soft, comfortable and high waisted.

A couple of my outfits from this week:

Wearing:
Shirt: Gap
Jumper: Topshop
Leather look leggings: Topshop
Boots: Aldo
Shirt: Hollister
Coat: M&S
Cable knit jumper: Boden
Jeans: Gap
Trainers: JL
Bag: Topshop

So are you into the leather look? Is it something you would wear?
Next time some super capsule basics for your wardrobe and a sneaky peak into Boden Spring/Summer 14 collection. (I am still working on boots!)
Thanks for reading x

6 comments:

  1. Love these looks Frances! I bought some coated jeans from Zara last year and some of the DP coated jeggings and both have been so useful. They are great for casual looks with boots and sweaters but for me they really come into their own for dressier day looks or for nights out......so versatile! If in doubt get some of the leather look out! Some fab inspiration here x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle, they do look fab for an evening look don't they?! I am loving mine...just a little late jumping on the bandwagon! X

      Delete
  2. Got the topshop ones and totes recommend them! Lush post! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your ones Ange you are my inspiration!!! I am going to borrow your when you come over for Christmas xxx

      Delete
  3. Hi there!! I really liked this post- some very inspiring looks here to try and your outfits look great, love the shirt tied around your waist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sharon, and thank you for reading x

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I love hearing from you or contact me on Schoolrunstyle@outlook.com