Monday 11 November 2013

Shirts..Not Just for the Boys.

Style Theory: Capsule collection = chic and timeless items you can wear season after season, year after year.


The second instalment in my capsule collection of elegant basics for your wardrobe is: The Chambray and Denim shirt
What is Chambray? 
The official definition is: A fine, lightweight fabric woven with white threads across a colored warp. 
My definition: Think of a mans, casual, blue 'weekend' shirt, slightly heavier in weight than a work shirt, it is a mixed weave so you can see both the pale blue and white threads. As a result the shirt hangs well, looks fab with collars 'popped' up and is fine enough to sit under a jumper. 

The Denim shirt is an absolute classic and a 'must have' in your wardrobe, it can be doubled up with blue denim jeans/ coloured jeans/ shorts or dressed up with midi/ mini skirts or patterned trousers...a truly versatile capsule collection item.

Here are some streetstylers perfecting the art of wearing the denim/chambray shirt:
Love the loose denim shirt over black leather trousers
Wear your fine denim/chambray shirt under a dress.
Dress up your shirt with a sequin jacket and skirt. (love the Tshirt underneath too)
Layer up with cream jumper, camel coat and biker boots.
Dress down leather leggings with denim shirt and jumper
Completely casual...boyfriend jeans and trainers
wear under your Breton top **remember to cuff your sleeves so the denim sleeve is visable.
Love with a blazer, skinny jeans and converse
Smarten your shirt up with a midi skirt
I am loving the bellbottom jeans-this inspired me in 'my style' below
Denim shirt tied at the bottom with fab fringed boots..gorgeous.

All images from Pinterest
Here are the best shirts from the high street starting with chambray shirts:
J Crew Keeper Chambray Shirt £78
J Crew are the leaders of the shirt/jumper combo and no doubt this one will be beautiful  on. It is expensive but this style will last for year after year.
Joules York Chambray Shirt £49.95
This shirt would really work with paler blue jeans for the denim on denim look or perhaps with a  black leather mini/midi skirt, opaque tights.
MiH Sleeveless Chambray Shirt £50.40 (from the Outnet)
Love, love, love this shirt, this is chambray perfection. It has no pockets  so no bulkyness under jumpers, it has a beautiful collar would look fab 'popped' up. The shirt would tuck smoothly into a pencil skirt and would work in the summer beautifully. I have in my online basket ready to buy!
Jack Wills Holecroft Shirt £59.50
This is a fab capsule basic, the shirt hangs well and is cut beautifully so flatters the figure.
I have this chambray shirt in pink, it is a great basic but does crush very easily.




A great basic shirt, love the collar.

And now for the denim shirts:


Moto Denim Oversize Shirt £34
This again is a great basic and is cut oversize so fab to wear as Streetstyle image no.1 over a pair of black ankle length trousers/leather trousers.
Gap 1969 Western Shirt £34.99
I have this shirt, it is great a lovely shade of blue, looks great with paler/darker blue jeans and a blazer/camo jacket. However, due to the pockets it cannot be worn under a jumper as it makes the jumper lumpy and is therefore not very flattering.
Forever 21 Camo Denim Shirt £24.75
Not quite with the theme and more of a 'fashion' than capsule item. I saw it and thought it was cute and very 'on trend' Stick on with a pair of black skinny jeans and heels and a camel coat and it will look fab.

So there you have it a rundown of my favourite looks and high street finds of the chambray and denim shirt!

My Style:
Spotty Chambray Shirt: Primark £13
Jeans: J Brand
Coat: M&S 
Boots: Aldo
**apologies for the posing had two seconds to get a photo and it went wrong (obvs)


Hoody: Primark
Jacket: Zara
Black Jeans: Oasis
Trainers: New Balance

Blazer: Zara
Denim Shirt: Gap
Scarf: Becksondergaard
Jeans: Gap
Animal Print Belt: Primark
Boots: Aldo
What do you think of the chambray/denim shirt, is it part of your capsule collection already, do you have any recommendations?
Thanks for reading x

9 comments:

  1. I have a blue oxford from Gap which is a lovely vibrant shade of blue and a Zara denim one which I got earlier in the year. I've not done much layering with them as yet as I've got to get to grips with layers in general - I always find myself doing a lot of re-arranging with shirts underneath jumpers - don't know how men do it all the time but I guess it's something they get used to. I have a couple of jumpers which I'm thinking might work with a shirt - fingers crossed and better luck this time round. Oh and I love both my shirts against black jeans the most. Somehow it just needs that extra contrast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree Sue, layering does get a bit go getting used to, ruffled up shirts under jumpers is a prob, I have just about worked out which shirt works underneath my jumpers, unfortunately I bought all small jumpers last year now I want them super big! X

      Delete
  2. Love the idea of the denim shirt under the dress, with the full leather skirt and under the sparkly jacket.......just such a different take on how to wear something that is generally perceived to be such a casual item! I'm most likely to try how it's worn in your first pic under a blazer and denim jacket!! Lots if great food for thought x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely Michelle how lovely does the leather skirt look with the shirt and the sparkles! Love it, I may get more brave nearer Christmas! X

      Delete
  3. Sorry....that's meant to say lots of great food for thought! Must just also say love the polka dot denim shirt you are wearing too! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! A very inspiring post, it's given me a lot of style ideas and I really should start wearing mine, I've a dark chambray H&M shirt and a Levi's shirt! Love your outfits too, especially the dot denim shirt x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading Sharon, sounds like you have a couple of lovely shirts you can style up! X

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I love hearing from you or contact me on Schoolrunstyle@outlook.com